Grill 101: The Art of Outdoor Grilling For That Perfect Steak
Grilling has always been one of the most popular and best ways to cook a steak. It is also a favorite activity for outdoor parties, picnics and special celebrations with your loved ones. Though it may look fun, the reality of grilling steaks is actually meticulous and intricate but worry not because we have collated helpful tips and hacks for you to ace that perfectly grilled steak:
- You should keep your steak at room temperature before cooking. Remove the meat from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Pat the meat with a paper towel to help remove all of the excess moistures. This will also keep the natural flavors inside the meat and will help it cook evenly.
- Preheat grill to maximum temperature.
- Season both sides of the steak with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the steaks 3 to 5 inches from the flame to sear the outside and lock in the juices.
- Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat; brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil. (This step helps form that delightful crust that screams perfection.)
- Return the steaks to heat and cook on both sides to the desired doneness. If using a gas grill, reduce the heat to moderately hot or hot. For charcoal or wood-burning grills, move the steaks to the warm side of the grill.
- Remove your steaks and let them rest and continue to cook in their own juices for 5 minutes.
- Slice, serve and get showered with praise.